top of page

Acerca de

tyree church buildings.jpg

The Full Story


March 1913 A small band of Christian workers departed New Bethel United Methodist Church, Berlin MD with a desire to do greater work for the Master. This group led by Brother Peter Tindley, Brother George Tindley, Brother Ebenezer Smack and Brother Esma Ayres founded Tyree African Methodist Episcopal Chapel.  All meetings leading to the forming of the church were held at the residence of Brother Peter Tindley (a relative of Rev. Dr. Charles Tindley).


March 16, 1913 Tyree African Methodist Episcopal Chapel was legally organized by Presiding Elder Rev. Robert Williams.  After the church was organized meetings and services were held at the home of Brother Esma Ayres on Thursdays and Sundays. The number of members grew too large to continue meeting in a private home. In June a pavilion was built for worship services.


May 19, 1915 Rev. William J. Douglas was the first appointed Pastor. During the First Quarterly Conference held at the temporary church building, it was unanimously resolved that the church be incorporated in conformity with the laws of Maryland and the discipline of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. (Articles of Incorporation notarized July 31, 1915 and recorded August 3, 1915)


September 1915 The soil was broken by the late Brother Ebenezer B. Smack and the church in which we are now worshipping was built.


October 1915 The corner stone was laid.


November 15, 1915 Tyree A.M.E. was dedicated by Bishop Evans Tyree, Bishop of the Philadelphia Conference. Bishop Tyree preached the dedication sermon. The church was named Tyree in his honor. 

Two daughter churches, Williams AME Church in Newark Maryland and St. John’s AME Church in Bishopville MD were organized and along with Tyree they formed a circuit.  The churches became stationary under Rev. Stansbury


November 30, 1952 The first mortgage was burned


The First Bishop   Bishop Evans Tyree

Presiding Elder    Rev. Robert J. Williams

Pastor                  Rev. William J. Douglas

Trustees               Bro. Ebenezer B. Smack, Bro. Peter Tindley, Bro. George Tindley,

                            Bro. Herbert, Bro. Sam Foreman, Bro. Esma Ayres, Bro. William Henry

Stewards              Sis. Louise Tindley, Sis. Lonsia Pitts, Sis. Hester Smack, Sis. Caroline Purnell,

                            Sis. Susie Fitchett, Sis. Maggie Ayres, Sis. Mary L. Tindley, Sis. Clara Briddell,

                            Sis. Virginia Smack

Secretary             Bro. Walter F. Briddell


The name was changed from at some point from Tyree African Methodist Episcopal Chapel to Tyree African Methodist Episcopal Church

May 11, 1992 Mr. Charles R. Jenkins, a Berlin, Maryland entrepreneur and philanthropists met with Rev. Robert N. Brown, Jr., and the congregation to express his interest in helping the church with a project. It was during this meeting in which the plans for an education center were set forth.


October 5, 1992 Purnell Inc deeded an acre of land to the church. The land borders the churches property.


October 10, 1992 a groundbreaking ceremony was held, and the construction of the 3624 square feet addition was launched.

Volunteers from the community and members of the congregation began working together early Saturday morning with a cement foundation and by nightfall the 35x70 foot addition was finished on the outside.  


June 1993 Presiding Elder Earle M. Brooks was the keynote speaker for the dedication ceremony of Faith Hall. The name “Faith Hall” was recommended by Rev. Robert N. Brown, Jr. and unanimously agreed upon by the congregation. 


June 1997 After 82 years of being part of the corporate Berlin Township, the church was finally connected to the Municipal water and wastewater system. The decision to connect the church to the water system was a result of Rev. Robert Brown, and the members attending several Town Hall meetings and persistently petitioning the Town Council and Mayor to honor the request to receive town water. In addition, the church was granted trash disposal service and the installation of a street light.


September 25, 1999 Sanctuary Renovation Dedication Service Mortgage Burning of Faith Hall Service (15- year mortgage paid off in 7 years) The RT. Rev. Vinton R. Anderson, Presiding Prelate – Guest Preacher

Rev. Earle M. Brooks- Presiding Elder, Rev. Robert N. Brown Jr. Pastor


April 15, 2016 One hundred one years later, at the historic 200th Session of the Baltimore Annual Conference, Bishop William P. DeVeaux Sr., appointed Rev. Betty M. Smith, a native of Berlin, MD as the first female Pastor of Tyree AME Church. Rev. Smith would continue to fulfill her call under the leadership of Presiding Elder Ernest L. Montague.

Tyree AME Church is still standing on the property in which it was built in 1915.  It is located on the south east side of Berlin on Germantown Road, Germantown, Berlin MD, Worcester County. The  Germantown community was the first established African American community in the Berlin area. Families attended New Bethel United Methodist Church, the “Mother” and  first black church seated in the core of the community. The primary economic resource was agriculture; families worked on the poultry and livestock farms, in the peach orchards, strawberry, corn, potato and hay fields which primarily surrounded the community. The children attended school at the churches until a one room school was built in the Germantown area. Tyree is remembered for hosting “Camp Meetings”. People traveled for miles to attend the event.


Throughout the years, Tyree has remained a light in the community, with the purpose to fulfill the vision of its founders, “Do a Great Work for the Master”.

1915 Events:

Woodrow Wilson was the President

The Federal Reserve was created

Association for the Study of Negro Life and History formed in Chicago by Carter G. Woodson and others.

Xavier University, 1st Black Catholic College in US, opens in NO LA                                     

An estimated 25,000 supporters in a women’s suffrage  march on New York’s Fifth Ave, led by Dr. Anna Shaw and Carrie Chapman Catt, founder of the league of Women Voters.


Contact Us

Please contact us! We would love to hear from you.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram
Thanks for submitting!
bottom of page